Open Network Featured Article

Turk Telekom Joins ONF

September 08, 2017





Turk Telekom (News - Alert) is Turkey’s oldest telecommunications company. But, the company continues to move forward, both financially and technologically. The service provider expects to see 10 to 11 percent revenue growth this year. And it recently announced its membership in the Open Networking Foundation.


ONF is a non-profit consortium that’s working to help carriers move to more open network architectures. CORD, ONOS, OpenFlow, and SDN have been the key areas of focus to date for this carrier-led group.

CORD stands for Central Office Re-architected as a Data Center. Its aim is to enable communication service providers like the telcos, to benefit from the flexibility and economies of scale that the cloud, commodity infrastructure, NFV, open building blocks, and SDN deliver – just as companies like Amazon, Facebook, and Google (News - Alert) have benefitted from them in their giant data centers. ONOS is an operating system based on software-defined networking. SDN, of course, decouples the network’s control and forwarding planes to allow for greater network agility and programmability. And OpenFlow is a standard interface between the control and forwarding layers of SDN.

Turk Telekom, which has been in business for 176 years, offers broadband, fixed voice, mobile, TV, and Wi-Fi, among other services. It owns 241,000 kilometers of fiber in Turkey and 20 other countries. And it has 33,621 employees in 81 cities.

Oger Telecom, Turkish Treasury, and Turkiye Wealth Fund together own 85 percent of Turk Telekom. The other 15 percent is in publicly held in shares, which trade on the Turkish stock exchange. For the second quarter of 2017 Turk Telekom reported 4.5 billion Turkish liras in revenue and TL 1.7 billion EBITDA. The company expects to have TL 6.3 billion in revenues and TL 6.4 billion EBIDTA for all of 2017.

Turk Telekom has 39.6 million subscribers. That includes 18.8 million mobile subscribers, 13.2 million fixed access lines, 9.1 million broadband subscribers,

two million high-speed Fiber-net and Hyper-net subscribers, and two million TV and Tivibugo subscribers. In terms of second quarter revenue, 37 percent of it came from mobile, 27 percent from fixed broadband, 15 percent from fixed voice, 14 percent from other services, and 8 percent from corporate data.




Edited by Mandi Nowitz


Article comments powered by Disqus